Friday, October 23, 2009

homeward bound






















All my thoughts come back to me in shades of mediocrity.


I should have realized when he asked, repeatedly, if I was smart – if I could pick things up quickly.
"Are you a fast learner?" he pressed.
"I have no patience for slow learners," he added. Or something to that effect.

I assured him that I was the brightest, sharpest crayon in the box. I was a month and a half into an extremely dry job hunt, and I was far beyond my natural reticent reaction to questions of this sort.

"Well, I have a stack of resumes, many of them have law office experience," he glanced at his computer. "But I'm going to stick with you."

And I was hired. None of the usual, "We'll get back to you in a few weeks after interviewing other prospects," crap. No stalling, no hesitance. He took me at my word.

Turns out he forgot to ask if I was magic. Turns out the answer to that question would have been "no." Because, no, I couldn't read the unfinished questions in his mind. And, no, I couldn't memorize the entire filing cabinet after one glance. And, no, I can't locate the unlisted phone number of a person with only a name.

I'm reluctant to compare myself to the girl in "Devil wears Prada" because you'd have to read the book to really understand what I mean, and the comparison is a stretch. But that's the analogy that clung to my thoughts throughout my work at the law office.

To be fair, I wasn't only expected to do magical tasks. Some of his requests were perfectly mundane, facile, and only slightly brain dead. Heating up his lunch, filling his water bottle fetching cokes and coffees, constantly dialing phone numbers and sending them through. The list goes on.

The previous were examples of why I didn't enjoy working there, and had a huge factor in my decision to leave. As I told a co-worker, "This isn't fun-time for Siobhan." Let's be clear. I'm not overly idealistic: I know that no job is perfect, and I'll probably have problems with every craft I put my hand to. BUT, I also know that I've worked for people who I have respected and admired. I studied for four years so that I would options available to me; options in fields that are important to me.

So even though I have no money, and decidedly dubious prospects, I'm glad I quit. It was a negative environment and I didn't want to get caught up in questionable activities in a climate of disrespect.

All that to say I'm unemployed again, and I'll have loads of time to look up useless information for this blog.

Quote of the Day: "Most people want security in this world, not liberty"
~H.L. Mencken, Minority Report, 1956


Not me. I wanted my freedom. :) But the idea that most people prefer security is really scary. So many people work solely for a paycheck, because money = stability and normalcy. But your job consumes the majority of your time and cannot help but shape you...there's so much more to it than a paycheck.

7 comments:

herewegoagain said...

Sorry, but I think in 2009 people can fill their own water bottles and heat their own lunches. Good grief. When Amy was a summer associate, she never asked her secretary to do ANYTHING...she told me, "My computer does it all for me" and really, I think people can manage the personal stuff on their own. Good for you, Siobhan. You didn't get a degree to be someone's underpaid servant. Here in the US, a valet makes great money! :-)

I think the REAL problem is the high unemployment in CA! Come to Texas!!!!:-)

Sho said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I kept thinking "is this work environment normal?"...but by the end I had reflected back on my other job experience and realized that I've worked for much more important people who were also gracious, inspiring, and reasonable.

It's true about valets making decent money--my roommate's bf is one.

Haha, yeah the unemployment rate here is astronomical. But I have a very good prospect for becoming the TA for hearing impaired children. I went and visited the school and loved them, and there is a definite job opening in January, and possibly one sooner. So keep me in your prayers! :)

Unknown said...

i love your writing...i just wish you had included something about the fake hugo boss suits. hahahaha :)

LlamaH said...

*****
That is my rating for this post

LlamaH said...

oh yeah,

you made the right choice!

herewegoagain said...

Teaching/working with deaf kids would be perfect for you. And Grandpa would be so proud...I don't know if you know of his business venture that was all about working with deaf kids? I'll tell you sometime.

Looking forward to seeing you SOON!

Have you looked at temp agencies, by the way? I did that out of college...I like it because I could still have some time off, the money was good and I tried a VARIETY of jobs (I mean, A VARIETY!). I know in this market, there might not be any call for temps, but you might sign up anyway.

And lastly, have you toilet-papered his office yet? (I'm still 12).

love you!

Sho said...

toilet papered his office? no no, i keyed his car and harley. felt good too.

:)