Monday, November 9, 2009

breathe in the air















Scrawny

Definition: very very thin
Example: I hear a scrawny noise.

I can't get over these kids and their interpretations of words. Not that I'm so clever. A girl came to me today and asked if I knew Spanish. I told her I didn't but that I would try and help her. She was looking for a 4th way to say goodbye (she had three already). I cleverly responded with "Hasta La Vista," which I was almost positive was Spanish. She didn't look too certain and I explained to her that Schwarzenegger had said it in Terminator. (Which aged myself I suppose.) She told me that her teacher didn't want her to use it. I thought for a minute and suggested "Ciao." She mildly pointed out that this was Italian. "Are you sure?" Yes, she was. I blame my friend Fiona who spoke Spanish and Italian and obviously muddled me up.

Today's Funky Word: Fungible. It means replaceable. I thought it was kind of cool.

Quote of the day:"Guilt is a luxury only foreigners can afford. Like saying whatever pops into your head."
--President Obama's stepfather; Dreams From My Father. A book which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

1 comment:

LlamaH said...

hehe I like your quote ;)

Glad you are enjoying the book!

hahaha "Hasta La Vista"