Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dress it up or dress it down





Family Christmas has been unique this year. My 18-year-old sister has taken a lover, and the family has subsequently been divided between Marx supporters and suppressors, much like the U.S.S.R. in the 50's--including the suppression of free speech (but with more access to groceries.)

Marx is his nickname for the purposes of this blog, as apparently my sister doesn't want her situation broadcast over the internet. I would have ignored this request in the search for truth, but she's the only person who consistently reads my blog, and so I pander. Pander with a purpose.

Basically, my sister met Mr. Marx her college in Michigan, adhering to the age-old truth that all people fall in love once during freshman year. Of course, not all people have to constantly text and message and skype with said love during holiday family time.

The long and short of it is that she has ruined Christmas. Well, not really, but that's what we tell her -- it's a beautifully pointed insult. Basically, my father has flipped a lid at the idea of his little girl meeting a man, and the rest of us have been forced to talk about everything in hushed tones lest he hear and go into a rampage about how he can't trust anyone.

One of my brothers is here (the other is in Morocco), and he jumps between siding with my father in his belligerence, and being mildly curious. Mostly he tries to exploit the situation for his entertainment, which, all things considered, is really quite reasonable.

On the bright side, the whole situation has provided me with many memorable quotes to plaster on my blog. Plaster with no purpose. These include the following:

My brother to Mr. Marx: "Have you ever picked up your teeth with broken fingers?" (Best Skype conversation ever.)

mumsie: "My dad never treated you like this!"
father: "Your dad was just happy someone would take you!"

And so on.

So what say you? Does my sister deserve her chance at young love with her floppy haired swimmer/musician/looks like Jim from The Office bloke?

14 comments:

LlamaH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sho said...

how sad! what's he going to think when he reads your denial?

LlamaH said...

ok clarification... we are not lovers!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Oodalalee said...

ahhh, Mr. Marx! what side are you on Siobhan, for these almost-lovers?

Unknown said...

awww leave her alone. haha. omg but your parents are HILARIOUS. i love it. :D this post made me laugh. :P

Anonymous said...

so many good quotes didnt make it up here.

LlamaH said...

so many good quotes eh? like what?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think you should give this guy a chance. I mean, he seems really nice. And skype is not a fair way for people to meet. There is so much that can't be seen via webcam. It's those unseen qualities that make something special. So, for the skeptic, I challenge you to keep your mind open. Such preconceived notions pinion the true reality of the situation and do not allow it to spread its wings. Let it fly. Set your mind free.

pfft...

LlamaH said...

Whoever this anonymous commenter is, I like him/her.
:)

Sho said...

ok mr./miss anonymous, "set your mind free" sounds like you're either a pothead or a disney fan. either way, you need to join reality. and reality is that skype is the BEST way to meet someone. if you don't like them, you can move two feet and BOOM you don't exist. or if you want to be polite, yank the camera and later blame it on technical difficulties.

all that to say I'm not actually arguing with you--he seemed like a tolerable sort. we'll see where things head.

Rosemarie. said...

Oh Hannah. It's time for you to fly the coup. Take a leap and go sit behind your geraniums. I sit here in the snow, wondering when I am going to catch my break, and you're in limbo right now... and I don't mean the dance.
Go Anonymous.
Can I meet Mr. Marx sometime soon??? I would like to interrogate him and his fancies... We need a real sit down, to discuss his views on life, death, and Aristotle's view on the tragedy and how this can be interpretated in modern day films, in relationship to the remediation of film into the internet and its effect on our perception of immediacy and hypermediacy.
Then we can judge.

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way, where did you find that picture of Mr. Marx and Hannah? it's really cute.

Anonymous said...

Well, Aristotle says that tragedies are appealing, in a nutshell, because it makes the audience member feel like his or her life is not too bad. It is a kind of catharsis. The emotions deep within are exercised during the tragedy and then become artificially fulfilled. It is a secret emotion that enjoys seeing other people worse off than one's self. And how that can be interpreted to modern theatre? Well, take Shakespeare for example (he's relatively modern). Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth are all examples of terribly successful plays in which tragic endings occur. Why were these so popular? Because of catharsis.
That's all i got...
And I think Mr. Marx is one of the two (pothead or Disney fan). He has been accused of both but only claims one. And he is not willing to share which one is true. Both are slightly humiliating.
I think Mr. Marx is pleased with "tolerable."