Sunday, February 7, 2010

don't think too hard about it

I just googled "wisdom teeth horror stories," and have added it to my list of terms to never google again. (On the plus side, I did find this great picture. Priceless.)

My dreams were crushed today as I discovered that Illuminati: The Musical, a movie which Chris and I have put much labor into creating, already exists as a play. Since you ask, I'm very upset.

In other news, I've been getting very depressed by whiz kids and piano prodigies. Clearly this could have been me if my parents had only pushed me a little harder and given me more swag (personal piano and laptop for your toddler, anyone?) But it's not just the whiz kids – it's watching college sports and knowing I'm older. Watching Olympics gymnasts and only being consoled by my superior back health. (Oh yes, they will all have back problems.) Don't get me started about all the 15-year-olds who dominate tennis.

So yes, I've passed my prime and it's depressing, because by the time you're old enough to realize you've passed it, you already have.

Isn't it funny how people get all huffed up over inequality of races and classes, but don't penalize genetic advantages? The American dream is hard work=picket fence house in suburbia with sprinklers and howdy do neighbors. But what about all the people achieving "the dream" without doing hard work, because they get there naturally from being born smart, attractive, stubborn, etc. Not fair.

Stop reading. Go back and figure out which parts are sarcasm, which parts are instigation, and which parts are me sitting back and watching words appear.

***


7 comments:

LlamaH said...

Haha, I loved the end of this post.

ummmm, people who are amazing at what they do are not just because they were born that way, but from HARD WORK and practice and routine and discipline.

Sho said...

says the freaking dancer. BUT what about people who are naturally good at something (will and sports, me and everything). what about them?

LlamaH said...

Well, people do have natural talent, and some seems more than others... but to be truly a prodigy at those talents you have to exercise and practice them... you can't be a piano genius if you don't practice everyday... same goes for anything

Sho said...

ummmm no. 4 year olds don't just learn how to compose music. they are born with it.

look at the people who can do math in our family.

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious ha ha ha (mom)!

Unknown said...

um...not gonna lie, i'm a bit disappointed i didn't even get a SHOUT OUT considering this was posted on my birthday...speaking of getting OLD and being PAST OUR PRIME...depressing... :(

LlamaH said...

wow that is depressing