Tuesday, February 16, 2010

it couldn't happen here in oz




I'm participating in Lent this year for the first time, and I'm unbelievably excited. I'm officially giving up Facebook and online television, and unofficially attempting to cut out my internet news fix (I get the Economist every week) and bad movies (pointless, gratuitous, unintelligent).

My nicotine patches? The five books I'm in the middle of, the people I'm surrounded by, nature, cooking, art projects, writing, GRE studying, taking up guitar, job hunting,and studying Arabic and French.

No, nature writing wasn't up there –
comma.

***

"Miss Stewart, how will you ever get all those freckles off your arms?" Katie, age 6. Thanks Katie. :)

And today's winning writing entry comes from Brian's notebook. Brian (yes, broken-armed Brian) likes to write really messily to distract from confusing sentences and spelling errors. He is one of the joys who prefer making up definitions to opening a dictionary. He also makes fun of his younger brother Jake in all his sentences.

Word: inexplicable
Meaning: hard to avoid
Sentence Example: Jake is inexplicable because he is fat.

Too bad the sentence almost made sense.

5 comments:

LlamaH said...

Hahaha, that's horribly funny!

I am giving up coffee for lent!

God be with you! :D

Sho said...

wa alakeum a salaam.
you'll need the help. coffee? never thought I'd see the day...you going to just pop caffeine pills instead?

what are we getting ourselves into? :)

Anonymous said...

haha. what did you tell katie?

Sho said...

i smacked her upside the head and then tried to look surprised

Anonymous said...

ooh! at a friends house last night they had a thing hanging that said, "A face without freckles is like a sky without stars." :DDD