Monday, September 21, 2009

A very good place to start

The dealio: I'm a recent college grad with scads of free time because I'm very, very unemployed. I've created this blog to chronicle my (non)adventures as I job hunt and find untelevised ways to focus my time.

My topics will range from random, to reader-inspired, to job/careery.

Life Lesson for today: How to pronounce the name Siobhan. How do you pronounce Siobhan? Simple, it's "Shi vaun." Most of the time I tell people it's pronounced like the material chiffon, except with a "v" sound instead of an "f." Turns out folks are less tailor friendly than you'd think--many haven't heard of chiffon, so I have an image here:


It's a sheer fabric that can be made from lots of different types of materials.
check:


The Fashion Blog


Anyways, the name Siobhan is Irish Gaelic, and I'm biding the time until I can move to Ireland for a couple of years just so I don't have to deal (people have moved for worse reasons) with blank stares, requests to spell it, and, my favorite: "But that's a black person's name."

Today's funky word: Sybarite. Sybarite means "lover of luxury," according to my Barron's GRE book. Kind of similar to an epicurean, except a little more hedonistic. Sorry, I know that's a lot of Greek:)

Today's quote: "Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator."

Niiiice, right?


10 comments:

LlamaH said...

Haha. That is awesome. Chiffon.

I really enjoy the word of the day part, keep that up!

You should write about why California is not as high on the list of unemployed as Michigan! :P

Who do the feet belong to?

Marthalemue said...

LOVED IT. I followed up your link on chiffon. Turns out I knew NOTHING about it, and now know everything I could ever want to know! It's so exciting.
I also appreciated the Greek. Keep that up :p
I agree with Hannah. Go with that one next time. Unless you have something else burning up inside that you need to put on your blog ;)

Oodalalee said...

chiffon! you fuhnny-cool thing you. to be honest i couldnt follow all the greek, but i'll work on it. i enjoyed the haiku the most. refrigerator. :) i also like your feet picture. artsy!

Unknown said...

"Shove on,"
I love your blog! Eaglevision loves your blog. Just wait till this thing gets your JSBC-TV video on it!

Unknown said...

martha! and (courtney?) thanks for the positive affirmation. ok my newest post will have some more unknown facts for you marth (but not about material i suppose)

Unknown said...

ooooh jessy i know! that'll knock everyone out

herewegoagain said...

Just remember, it could have been Graine. Pronounced "gran-ya"...yep, your dad was talking about both those names!

I love the new blog!

Anonymous said...

Du ar sa flinka och sota och jag skratter som en pinsvin nar jag laser vad du skriver. Yuk, yuk!
Med karlighet,
Din Papa

Sho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sho said...

var ver sikti ya opi