Saturday, May 8, 2010

You'd say I'm putting you on, but it's no joke, it's doing me harm

On Thursday, Brian (12) was looking very perturbed as he argued with Miss Garcia. Apparently she had told him on Wednesday that some pitchers could pitch at up to 120 mph. Brian's a big kid. He looks like he's about 16, and he plays baseball. Naturally he figured that if it was possible for some to pitch at that rate, he would be one of the chosen ones. So he made a $20 bet with a friend that he could throw a baseball at 120 mph – a bet which he lost. And he spent all day Thursday complaining to Miss. Garcia that she had lost his money. She just laughed.

My brothers have a similar history of making ridiculous bets, often over song lyrics. There was a discussion between the lyric "a lepress" and "olympus" in one song (yeah, we listen to awesome music), and a huge argument over whether American Pie had more lyrics than some other song. It was all a little stupid, but rather entertaining (especially when my mother was yelling at them the whole time to stop betting.)

I personally have decided that betting is a bit silly unless you've found someone you can take complete advantage of and know you're going to win. (I suppose at that point it's more manipulation than betting. Make a note.) I bet my sister that she won't still be able to put both legs behind her neck when she's 50. We wrote up the terms and we both signed the contract. She was 12, I was 16. I was planting the seeds for her to learn a valuable life lesson on her 50th birthday. Because I'm a great sister.









No comments: