Saturday, May 1, 2010

but oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go




I woke up this morning to the eyeball of my roommate, Christine. We have been roommates for three years now and she occasionally does creepy things like this, usually not on purpose. She also laughs to herself a lot, and frequently has a V vein on her forehead when she's giddy about something.

Probable craziness aside, I've grown rather fond of living with her – mostly because she is this beautiful ballerina type who gets really excited about the nerdiest things: Star Trek, videogames, LOTR, and Tchaikovsky. However, the eyeball was disconcerting. They are meant to be in pairs; it's a symmetry thing that I fully condone. And waking up to one eyeball and half a V vein staring at me like Sauron (okay, what other EYE can I compare it to) was disturbing. It's like when I used to be awoken by Maylee, a demon Pekinese dog who was the prechild of my aunt and uncle. Pekinese are strange creatures, with shoved in faces that hinder their breathing. Maylee didn't breathe so much as snot. And she used to crawl onto my chest and snot on my face until I woke up to her beady little eyes.

The climax of my Christine eye story is the following interchange:

Me (to Christine's eye which is staring at me through pillows and blankets): Hi. (nervous giggle)
Christine: (kind of laughs and mutters something) (we aren't morning people)
Me: All I can see is your eye.
Christine: Oh. haha. That's like that poem.
Me: What?
Christine: The Edgar Allan Poe poem.
Me: Which Edgar Allan Poe poem?
Christine: Oh you know...that one...
Me: (racking my brain for eyeballs in the two Poe poems I know) Uhh no.
Christine: (realizes something and gives an enlightened laugh) Oh, never mind. I was probably thinking of some slasher movie.


And that's why I love her.

Today's Quote:














It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsman came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

7 comments:

Christine said...

http://www.literature.org/authors/poe-edgar-allan/tell-tale-heart.html


...yep, I'm as creepy as this guy.

Emma said...

Hahahaha, Creepy Christine. I love the Sauron reference.

Sho said...

That's what you were talking about!

wow. :)

LlamaH said...

That's my favourite poem!

And I think she was talking about the short story The Tell Tale Heart

Sho said...

okay yeah...everybody has told me that. sighhh

herewegoagain said...

I can't believe Mei Li (note the spelling, Sho!) was immortalized in a blog. I'll tell Aunt Lucy. However, there is a vein of prejudice in the Stewart household toward small dogs. Just sayin'

Sho said...

gah. i need to just send everything to you before i stick it up:) yes, she was immortalized in the blog...and in my head.

and we can't help it if we feel that most small dogs would be better off as cats. just saying