Monday, September 27, 2010

so if you care to find me, look to the northern sky


timer camera photo


This week I:

- made sushi for the first time
- ate reindeer for the first time
- was visited by a high school friend I hadn't seen in five years
- was told by a policeman to calm down and get back into the car
- accidentally set off a silent alarm inside the metro station (looking for a bathroom light switch)
- experienced 50F (10C) weather for the first time in two years
- got to listen to my sister and Nony discuss whether I was scruffier in high school or now ("she used to stick her hair up in a knot every day and it was nasty"; "no – have you seen it now?" etc)
- saw a fully intact ship that sunk 20 minutes into its maiden voyage
- almost picnicked at a castle
- discovered the sauna in our building's basement


Exciting stuff. Got to reminisce with Scarlet and Nony over the silly things we were in high school. Realized that we still have a lot of the same conversation topics; ie. every two minutes is: "Okay, new plan. You two move to Ecuador with me..." or "How about this? Ash gets her teaching degree, and we all go to New Zealand"... until the inevitable "One of us marries rich and supports the others" idea is reached.

And of course, there were Nony's fun facts. "Fun fact: there is actually a treasure seeking career!" Well, that one is fun...most involved weird bits of information. Nony is my barmy geek friend who, while procrastinating writing her Master's thesis at her geek school, decided to memorize all the countries of the world. Most people procrastinate on Facebook.

Naturally, the week was also filled with "Have you heard of" countries. (Yes, I've heard of Djibouti. No, I haven't heard of Burkina Faso.) That's right, she sucked us into her web of knowledge.

3 comments:

Chelsey said...

reindeer? sad!! ;)

LlamaH said...

That photo is precious.

I want to try reindeer

a popo pulled you over! Oh my giddy aunt!

Sho said...

chelsey – i know! but they eat them here...

llams – come home and i'll feed you one