Monday, June 7, 2010

but i just had to look, having read the book




Spite:
Deliberate nastiness.
Definition: My dog had a very stinky spite when we didn't give him a bath for 3 days. (crossed out and changed to: "My dog bit me out of spite" by Miss Garcia.)

This one cracked me up and I took the time to write it down. A couple of summers ago, my brother and I housesat and dogsat for my uncle's fiance in Austin. There were several memorable experiences during that week, (including accidentally ending up in an adult movie store, an encounter with the police, and some terrific cafe music), but the one lingering memory is that of Patty's (literally) old dog, Oliver. Oliver was a wonderful and well-respected family member, but in his later years he had formed the unfortunate habit of creating little mounds of feces on the carpet.

Ooj (my uncle) described it as little balls of spite. The location and design of the feces appeared to be very methodical. He said it was Oliver's way of communicating his displeasure with us – by creating spite.

**

Evan: My stomach hurts when I raise my arms
Me: Maybe you worked it out?
Evan: ...I fart a lot
Me: thanks
Evan: oh yeah and I did pushups

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I read it, and then I'm happier :)

Sho said...

that's because you are clearly a good person...

Emma said...

My dogs sometimes leave little spites as well. Also, one slid off the back of the couch two days ago, and the other found her way into the bathtub and couldn't get out. Animals are amusing.

herewegoagain said...

I like to think I contributed in some small way to this.
My blog fodder is decidedly limited by Uncle Mike's insistence on no dog poop or vomit stories. Sigh.