Friday, June 25, 2010

i feel i must interject here




Emma Catherine, my (debatably) faithfullest reader, has also taken on the role of feeder. Blog feeder to be precise. Aujourd'hui, she sent me a link to a video of Swedish phrases translated into English. They include the following:

–My children are watching my land mine
–A whale only has one option
–The corpse looks like another corpse
–Oh my god! Here is Mr. Hermansson imitating the wonderful ermine called Herman
–What is happening to my hands? (Van hander med mida hander)(yes, thought that might be useful)
–Detergent for the flagstaff knob
–The dusy lady was silly in the pond
–Well then, now Siv can reach the tin
–A soul has a reason for stealing a piece of chocolate


Favorites? I really like the Hermansson one.

Now I have a very specific vocabulary for my voyage. I think perhaps I shall write a short story incorporating the previous phrases. A very serious, melo-dramatic story. yes. Shall I put it up on here? Perhaps. Though I think the knowledge that such a story exists should equally enrich lives.

**

Facebook Find: Today's FF was a status and a few subsequent comments.

My first nude sighting this morning over amazing pastries and Kenyan coffee. ah Denmark!

(3 people like this)

Comment 1:: Gross!
2: hahahha...i'm so excited for scandanavian nudity. bring it!
3: Ya, I was trying to decide if I should visit Stockholm during the summer or winter...white Christmas or, um, golden summer?
6) Which was better- the pastries & coffee - or the nude sighting? hope you are having a good time! luv u, Aunt M
10) You're watching nudies while you eat heavenly-foretaste pastries from the comfort of your balcony? Why did I leave Europe? What a boring land I've come to.

**

I recently found a list I began compiling a couple years ago of a few of my friends' irrational fears and pet peeves.

Pet Peeves highlights: Bad Powerpoint presentations, ACs that are too cold

Irrational fears have always interested me. Imagine if every time a car alarm went off you freaked out that it was your car. Or if you developed anatidaephobia (see cartoon). I mean noone would understand that. They'd probably tell you that ducks are harmless. But why is it watching you???

Or if you had an irrational fear of developing an irrational fear.

**

FML Friday:
Today, I realized that when my boyfriend said "I'll love you forever" what he really meant was "I'll love you until I meet your significantly more attractive sister" FML

Write a book about that, Stephenie Meyer.

Quote of the Day:

" 'I'm exceedingly ignorant.'
The young man laughed and bowed. 'I am honored!; he said. 'I've lived here three years, but haven't yet acquired enough ignorance to be worth mentioning.'
...I managed to recollect enough scraps of Handdara lore to realize that I had been boasting, very much as if I'd come up to him and said, 'I'm exceedingly handsome.' "

–The Left Hand of Darkness

**

Life Advice: Truth doesn't change from moment to moment. Impressions do.
Oh, and living life like all song lyrics are true could create problems. Abstractly, naturally.

Today's Funky Word: is dedicated to my friend Edmund.
Deipnosophist : A master of dinner-table conversation.


6 comments:

herewegoagain said...

I think I'm debatably in your top three readers. Is debatably a word?

Choking with laughter over your FF. There really is nothing like watching all the secretaries strip to their bras (or less) during their lunch break at the city center. Ah, Scandinavia.

What about Billy Joel dedicating "Just The Way You Are" to his first wife and then leaving her for CHRISTIE BRINKLEY?

xx,
ab

herewegoagain said...

Sooooo, Uncle Mike and I were talking about how no one is a good writer any more (he is REALLY picky) and he said, "You know who is a good writer? Siobhan is". Seriously high praise.
And yes, I'm jealous....

PS...I bet you didn't know HE was also a faithful reader, did you?

LlamaH said...

I AM YOUR TOP READER!

Mom loves that word!

hahahaha, I LOVE GARY LARSON!

Anonymous said...

In sweden, No nakeds. What's going on?

Sho said...

Auntie B – the secretary comment, really? Wow, my parents have definitely not been giving me a fully accurate picture of the Scand lands.

And no, I didn't know Uncle Mike read my blog, but I'm stoked to be accruing readers! And I'm very, very flattered that he thinks I'm a good writer (If you read the comments on these – Hi Uncle Mike!) In fact, that definitely made my day...week...

Also, your texts made me laugh so hard yesterday. And I'm going to look that lady up.

Llams – Top reader? Maybe, maybe. Emma has just always seemed a little more enthused. Also, she's harder to please:p heh... I know mom LOVES that word. She was seriously obsessed with it for a while there.

Sho said...

anonymous- keep strolling around. i'm sure you'll find something.