Thursday, June 3, 2010

crazy little woman in a one man show



(click to enlarge)


Jason is gone. June Woo is gone too. I found out about June Woo two days ago, and about Jason today. They both simply disappeared. To me, that is – I suppose their parents informed BCLC quite a while ago, but the news didn't get back to me until they had officially quit. How's that for closure?

My workplace is a strange environment. I see the children/my coworkers every day, spending more time with them than almost anyone else in my life. But the relationships are built on a very specific non-personal structure. I am Miss Stewart, just another authority figure telling them to quiet down and do their work.

On the other hand, I've spent such a large amount of time with them that I cannot help feeling affected by their presence in my life. I understand that developing a relationship is not like getting a pilot's license – you don't hit a certain number of hours and suddenly have a friend. Still, time together seems to be a huge aspect in the comfort level and acceptance in a relationship, which is why strange friendships form when people are thrown together for periods of time. (ie. becoming friends with a weirdo from work or a fellow survivor on a desert island.)

All that to say, part of me is bummed that I won't be getting real closure with my kids, even though I don't really need it for the type of relationship that we've had. And part of me – the part that has always avoided closure – is fine with it. In life, it's important to be able to do the velcro thing: nothing on earth is permanent.

**

A couple of days ago, Brian asked me what my last name was.
Brian: "Miss Stewart, what's your last name?"
Me: "Stewart."
Brian: "No, what's your real last name?"

I don't know if he thinks teachers work incognito, or if he is confused as to the concept of last name, but I found the conversation a little strange.

And this week's highlight was, of course, Andrew. He gave me a quick verbal quiz to determine what percentage male and what percentage female I was. The result? 100% female. This would have surprised me, had I not heard the questions. Andrew, of course, was surprised. "Wow," he said. "Most people are mixed." Five questions Andrew. Come on.

Timothy was also 100% female.

**

I'm starting to work on a list entitled "Non PC things that my kids do" Here's the beginning:

NON PC THINGS THAT MY KIDS DO

- make constant 'gay' jokes (including "you wish I was gay" "ewwwww!")

- get on their knees, put their shoes in front of their knees and shout "we're dwarves! you're in dwarf town!"

- "I don't like Japanese people. I don't know why."

- toss an eraser with 'yes' written on one side and 'no' written on the other, asking it questions like "Is Jessica fat?" "Is Nathan a female?"


Today's Article: Deals with the subject of an accidental work friendship.

Quote of the Day:
"The problem with people is that they don't look at the big picture. Eventually, we're each going to die, our species will go extinct, the sun will explode, and the universe will collapse. Existence isn't only temporary, it's pointless! We're all doomed, and worse, nothing matters!"
-Calvin

5 comments:

Emma said...

"Timothy was also 100% female."

Nice.

There really is such a difference between being PC and actually having the respect that all the PC crap was originally attempting to promote. Kinda sad.

Sho said...

I completely agree...

I wonder if some people need that outside structure to change their thoughts.

chantel said...

wait so what's the quiz to find out how female i am?

Sho said...

i don't know!!! I tried to find it but I couldn't. sigh

herewegoagain said...

Seriously, what IS your real last name?