Friday, December 24, 2010

food glorious food

My contribution to our Christmas dinner will be scalloped potatoes because, as my mother put it: "You like potato stuff right?" She was, of course, referring to my obsession with mashed potatoes.

I looked up a scalloped potato recipe online, and the first hit had many positive reviews, including one that began with this line: "I got a call from the man saying he had a yearning for scalloped potatoes."

Come quick! There's a man on the phone and he has a yearning for scalloped potatoes.

**

Swedes don't do eggnog. Actually, many people don't – it seems to be one of those love/hate items. I happen to be a lover. (Yes, you can quote me on that out of context). I believe I spent my sophomore and junior Novembers in college sitting outside of Vons having eggnog chugging contests in the car. My other California years, bereft of fellow eggnog lovers, I simply stocked the fridge and drank them by myself.

Eggnog Time!

This year, without the (Southern) comfort of the easily accessible nectar, I decided to make it myself. I looked up a recipe online and was happy with the results.

I also made roasted cinnamon almonds. I highly recommend the recipe.

Here's some cooking
Life Advice :

1) Whiskey and eggnog don't make a wonderful combination. (Possibly a personal taste...)
2) Egg whites will not stiffen if they are compromised with a touch of any other substance. It doesn't matter how long you beat them.
3) Internet recipes with reviews are wonderful. It's a community effort to tweak and adjust recipes until they're perfect.
4) If your family is immature, expect silly comments about taking photos of your nuts.




2 comments:

LlamaH said...

your nuts are pretty (hehe)

nice photos

Anonymous said...

I miss eggnog. I tried to make it. Once.