Saturday, November 20, 2010

ain't that the reason you're at this club?

"We're all looking for love, ain't that the reason you're at this club?" My sister and I always laugh at these lyrics. The idea of looking for love in a club sounds...ineffective. Sorry Jason Derulo.

**

I recently skimmed through Time Magazines' 50 Best Inventions of 2010.

My Favorite Inventions of Time Magazine's Favorite Inventions:


-A Sarcasm Sensor. Specifically, a Semi-Supervised Algorithm for Sarcasm Identification. Apparently it searches through product reviews and has a 77% accuracy rate. In my opinion, that isn't a great rate. If a birth control had 77% accuracy, no one would use it. Still, I suppose it's impressive for what it does – as someone pointed out, I wonder what the average human sarcasm detection accuracy rate is.

I've had to develop a physical system to inform Mr. Marx of my sarcasm and vice versa. (He signs the letter "S" when he's being sarcastic.)

- Super Super Soaker. Military. Pretty much what it sounds like. I got excited because it's a super super soaker, and that's exciting.

- The Deceitful Robot. A robot that can lie? Uh oh...

- Lifeguard Thingy. A remote controlled floatation zooms through heavy waves at about 15 times the speed of a lifeguard. I read this and wondered why it hadn't been invented before.

-Underwater Kite. Need I say more?

-Iron Man Suit. Yes.

So: I was inspired by all these inventions to come up with something innovative. Here it is: A regulated site where people send in ideas for inventions. A few people monitor the submissions and the interesting ones get published. Kind of like FML but with a purpose. Actually, not like FML at all.

I know so many people who have really decent ideas for inventions, but don't have the money/time/know how to create their ideas. This seems wasteful. Why not compile them on a site which can then be accessed by people with resources?

**

In our preschool English class, 3-year-old Hugo has a crush on 3-year-old Esther. He is always looking at her, showing off for her, and smiling when she's around.

Today they held hands while we sang "Head and Shoulders." This is a difficult feat.

**

Dear tall, young Asian man,

I saw you looking at me and I tried to give a flicker of an encouraging smile but I think it was too subtle. You seemed interesting: confident, not arrogant; reserved, not shy. I wanted to ask you what your story was.

How did you get to Sweden? What's in the bag you're carrying? Why are you wandering around at midnight on a Saturday? Do you miss someone right now? What was your childhood like? If you could relive one memory...? Were your parents strict? Do you like chai? Classical music?

I would have answered your questions. Well, most of them. I'm on my way home from a church event. I didn't make my bus because I overshot my metro stop because I was daydreaming. I could have been charming and clever and sweet. I could have made you laugh. Or smile. You could have told me something interesting, something thought-provoking. Or trivial. Then my bus would have come and we would have parted, each feeling somehow lifted. Lighter. Brighter.

Of course, that's not how it turned out. My mother says I should go back to the bus stop next Saturday. But I think that would kill it. It's a shame.

6 comments:

Emma said...

Someone should invent a surface that doesn't collect fingerprints, then market it to laptop manufacturers, window manufacturers, criminals, etc.

You missed your opportunity with your mysterious stranger. Now you may have to live up to that promise of celibacy that you made to that theology professor (WHY am I blanking on his name?).

Sho said...

why am I blanking on that entire memory? Dr. Lister...

I really want to market something to criminals. Writing the hooks for products would be awesome "Don't you hate it when one little fingerprint gets you locked up for 4 years?"

...

LlamaH said...

wow... was he very goodlooking?

Chris S said...

People would definitely still use birth control if it had a 77% effectiveness rate.

Also: "What's it like to be Asian in Sweden."

Really?

Oh and the word they're having me re-type to verify that I am a human while posting this is "banaggie". Just so you know.

Chris S said...

Also, can we get a new poll?

Sho said...

Ok Christophe, I have a lot to say about being an American in Sweden and I bet other nationalities feel the same way. Why do people get offended whenever a race is pulled out?

And I put up a new poll just for you. Enjoy.