Wednesday, November 17, 2010

tell her how the ...

"Hi, I'm ----."
"Hi -----."
"I own a shop."
"What do you sell?"
"I sell ....."

This is a game I play with the kids to practice their vocabulary. Each person has to say all of the previous for sale items and make a new one up.

Today's lesson went something like this:

"Hi, I'm Karin."
"Hi Karin."
"I rown –"
"Own. You own."
"I own a –" (asks her brother a question in Swedish)
"Store."
"What do you sell?"
"Uhhh." A minute goes by.
"It can be anything."
She exchanges some more words in Swedish with her brother. He finally says "Draugoon."
"Draugoons."
"Dragons?"
"Yes."

Then it was Sven's turn. He was pretty excited.
"I sell RPGs."
"Rocket propelled grenades?" I asked incredulously.
"No," Stefan butted in. "Rocket propelled grenade launchers."
"OK. Stefan's turn."
He listed a very specific shotgun.
"Where are you getting these words from?"
"Call of Duty 4."
"Well you can't use it. No more weapons."
"But everything can be a weapon. A house can be a weapon."
I rolled my eyes.
"Fine. Sell pillows."
"A pillow can be a weapon."
"How?"
"If you hold it to someone's mouth so they can't breathe."

I eventually convinced him to stop listing weapons. Our list turned out something like this:

Dragons, RPGs, Half Life 2 episodes 1 and 2, butterflies (mine), humans, hair...

Sounds like a store I'd definitely want to check out.


2 comments:

Emma said...

hahaha, that's awesome. i definitely would want to go to that store.

chantel said...

ah the beauties of teaching english! so fun!!