Thursday, August 12, 2010

and we'll all go together to pick wild mountain thyme

Today was a day of firsts.

I completed the Rubik's cube for the first time. It was a thing of beauty. What was
not a thing of beauty were the instructions on some of the sites I went through to find good instructions. The first site tried to hook me and get me to pay for the final steps. The second site went into very detailed mathematical reasoning involving matrices and variables that weren't x or y.

Luckily, I found this guy on Youtube who was nice and visual and nicely supplemented my written instructions. I'm thinking of filming and posting my own Rubik's video on here.

**

I also went busking for the first time. Christophe and I went out and wooed the Swedish population (and their tourists) with Johnny Cash, Pink Floyd, Wheatus, and some folksy Irish numbers including the one in this video:





It's a beautiful song, especially with harmonies.

All in all our experience was a positive one; we made 35 kroner, which is – deceptively – about five dollars. There were some cute moments, including a little boy who begged money off his mom and ran up to us, throwing it into the gaudy red hat we had set up. (On top of Chris's lucky Omani flag.)

**

Funky Word: Kibosh. It means put a stop to, as in "his attitude put the kibosh on our good moods."

Facebook Find: My siblings all thought it would be terribly funny to post something about my using the internet to solve the Rubik's cube today. Anyways, they had several discussions of the spelling of said cube, and came up with three different statuses. Lexis was my favorite:

"siobhan is currently googling how to solve a reubix cube while holding one in her hand." Reubix. Very French – as the comment under it pointed out.

2 comments:

herewegoagain said...

Did you know that was played at my mom's funeral? I love it. I can't listen to it without tearing up. "We'll all go together". Yes.

And, I feel very shouted out to lately in your blog. Heh.

xx

Sho said...

I didn't know that, but thanks for telling me. It's a beautiful song.

I know I keep silently shouting out to you. I think I'll throw in some more attribution...