Monday, August 30, 2010

I get no kick from champagne

Simply Sweden:

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."

So say the people trying to prep me for wintering in Stockholm. The fact that this mantra has already been thrust upon me several times – in
August – bodes ill for its veracity. Still, it is clever and probably necessary PR.

According to my pseudo co-worker, Swedish men are currently on the lookout for a woman to settle down with over the winter. They like to have these things fixed before the weather sets in. Breakups happen in Spring.

My American notions reject this mindset: Winters are spent cold(ish) and lonely, and Springtime is lovetime, twitterpation time, Valentine's Day. Spring is a terrible time of year to break up. Don't the Swedes watch Bambi?





No comments: