Monday, August 23, 2010

The Sun Also Rises


A friend and I at a beach in Oman

Tomorrow. There is always promise in tomorrow. As Anne Shirley was fond of saying: "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes." No matter what we do, no matter how life-shattering today is, the sun will rise tomorrow.

We are, as individuals, such small players in the grand scheme of things:


"The sun - The sun is in perpetual motion, rising, setting, and rising again, and so constantly repeating its course in all succeeding days, and years, and ages; and the like he observes concerning the winds and rivers, and the design of these similitudes seem to be; to shew the vanity of all worldly things, and that man's mind can never be satisfied with them, because there is nothing in the world but a constant repetition of the same things..."

–Wesley's Notes on Ecc. 1:5


I love the hope that comes from the acceptance of my own insignificance. Putting my trust in something bigger takes all the pressure off my antics. I'm not talking a free pass to irresponsibility. It's just helpful and healthful to have a big picture perspective sometimes.

**

So that's the thought behind my blog title. Also, "The Sun Also Rises" is the name of Ernest Hemingway's first novel. I haven't read it, but plan to this year. It's about expats living in Europe so it's appropriate on that level.

3 comments:

LlamaH said...

Awesome. I very much like this!

Makes me think of Scarlet too.

It's very true to feel that wonderful release and relief once you just accept that life is more than just you.

maya said...

I love The Sun Also Rises. Just read it this summer, in one day. It's one of Hemingway's finest imo. May not have much of a plot or anything, but it's stuck in my mind.

Sho said...

maya – sweet, I definitely need to get on that...