Monday, August 16, 2010

the girl with kaleidoscope eyes




When you hover over this image on xkcd, the text reads: "You know that I'll always love you. As long as she's with someone else."

This reminded me of Karen Sharp, the host of Love Songs on the Coast, a shmoopy radio station which was all about dedicating songs to the ones you love. Karen Sharp's voice is the most soothing, kind, maternal sound in the world. California adores her. They send their love letters in for her to read. They call her to dedicate songs to their loved ones. Heck, they call her to help deliver their babies. (I seriously heard a lady call and have her play a song for her daughter who was in labor in the hospital, who loved the station.)

The above cartoon reminds me of the one time I heard a dedication go a little wrong on air – the fault of the fellow calling in, not Karen. Karen behaved swimmingly. It went something like this:

youngish guy: "Hi, I'm calling to dedicate a song to my girlfriend Jill."

Karen (utterly empathizing with his great love): "That is so wonderful. Why don't you tell me about her?"

youngish guy: "Well, she's really fun. I'm convinced she's the girl for me...right now...at the moment."

Right now. At the Moment. We died laughing. Karen didn't.

Karen: "That's so sweet."

**

Small Talk Question of the Blog:
Why do people settle? When should people settle?

Guinness Link: Man with the stretchiest skin in the world.

Simply Sweden: I don't know if this is Sweden, or our family simply discovering what can be done all over the world.

But here, we buy lettuce in a pot. That's right, it grows in our kitchen. Take a look:






It made me feel special, like I was hunting for my own dinner. Organic.

2 comments:

chantel said...

right now. at the moment. BEST DEDICATION EVER! oh i think of you EVERY time i listen to her....which is a lot 'cause she's amazing at her job! ahh!

chantel said...

that's exactly what i thought of when i saw the cartoon....k i can't just comment once....and i'm doing catch up on your blog tonight!